Other regulated roles

A regulated role is one which requires you to be registered with a regulating body in order to practice. In Cornwall, these are largely employed the Local Authority and include:

Occupational therapists

Occupational therapists work with people with physical, mental or social disabilities to help them do everyday activities. You will spend time with individuals to find out what they do in their day to day life and what challenges they face. You will then help them to find ways of overcoming these challenges.

Your role might include:

  • helping people to adjust to their disability
  • providing specialist equipment to help with mobility
  • supporting people to adapt their home or vehicle to make them more accessible
  • helping people to cope with memory or sensory loss
  • teaching someone who’s recovering from a stroke how to do things themselves
  • advising housing departments on mobility issues.

Social Workers

Social Workers offer support and advocacy to individuals and families to improve outcomes in their lives, and intervene when vulnerable people need safeguarding. You could be working with people of all ages including older people, those with learning disabilities, physical disabilities and mental health conditions to maximise their independence.

The support you’ll provide is usually temporary to help people adjust to challenges or changes in their lives such as illness, age related problems, disability, safeguarding or bereavement. You will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team including, for example, the police, health services and schools.

Care workers and smiling residents walking outside

Becoming a regulated professional

Any previous experience in social care will provide a good foundation for a career in a regulated profession, but there are some specific skills needed to work in these roles including:

  • planning and organisational skills
  • communication skills
  • the ability to form good working relationships

These roles usually require you to study an undergraduate degree or diploma with an approved training provider. It is possible to study for these roles as a direct entry university student or via an apprenticeship if you are already working for an employer who will support you to do this. In Cornwall, your career pathway could start as a Case Co-ordinator or Occupational Therapy Assistant at Cornwall Council. The Council regularly provide apprenticeship opportunities to progress into Social Worker and OT roles.

Find out more about these regulated roles in Cornwall on the Work Life Cornwall website.