Care workers and man sitting outside

Workforce Development Fund

In Cornwall and Isles of Scilly, the Workforce Development Fund (WDF) is distributed by CAHSC on behalf of Skills for Care. The fund enables care employers to have a continuing commitment to staff learning and development by enhancing their learning and development budgets. Full details are available on the CAHSC website.

Useful documents

  • NA apprenticeship course leaflet
  • NAs in Social Care

Useful links


The Cornwall Apprenticeships website provides lots of information for both employers and individuals including a directory of Apprenticeship training providers in Cornwall and Isles of Scilly. See the Guide to Apprenticeships for Health and Social Care Employers in Cornwall and Isles of Scilly for more information.

Details of other training providers can be found on the Skills for Care website and the CAHSC TICK review programme.

Funding for apprenticeships may be available to smaller employers through levy transfer schemes such as Cornwall Council Apprenticeship Levy Transfer Scheme.

Skills Hub

The Skills Hub is a free independent and impartial service that helps employers understand their training & development needs and signposts them to the most appropriate no-cost and low-cost provision available.

From digital marketing and IT to finance and leadership, as well as apprenticeships and funded training opportunities, they research the wealth of training provision and refer you to the right specialists.

Assistant Practitioners and Nurse Associates

Assistant practitioner programmes are based on a 2-year curriculum of study that are attached to an accredited further education establishment. The course is based on a level 5 foundation degree and includes extensive supervised practice and sign off of competencies. Once complete, an Assistant Practitioner can support a registered nurse by undertaking delegated tasks that they are competent to perform.

An assistant practitioner is not a role specific to social care or to a particular social care setting. It has been developed to assist organisations to deliver high quality, patient-centred care in a variety of settings. Although not registered practitioners, assistant practitioners have a high level of skill through their experience and training.

Nurse associate programmes are required for NMC registration as a nurse associate and involve completion of a 2-year foundation degree. Only courses that are approved by the NMC will allow people to register as a nurse associate and work in a way that supports a registered nurse by monitoring as well as providing care.  More information on what nurse associates can do and the training they require can be found on the NMC website.

A nurse associate is accountable for the range of tasks and activities set out in the NMC standards of proficiency and, once qualified, can undertake these without requiring additional competency checks.